On Tuesday, January 26, 2021, a new policy went into effect implemented by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) stating that all international travelers [visiting Los Cabos] within 72 hours of their flight will have to take a Covid-19 test and present proof of a verified negative result in order to board a flight returning to their home country.
If you test positive, there are many offerings in place to keep the process comfortable, quick and easy, given the circumstance.
Our recommendation is to make choices that are the best for your time and budget, and what we’ve outlined below is only a suggestion:
- As you were most likely tested for COVID -19 at your hotel, notify the hotel to inquire how they accommodate guests who test positive. Verify the special rate and secure the appropriate amount of days for your quarantine time. If you are vacationing at a private villa, they may offer a special rate if the villa is available, otherwise, you can be referred to the desired lodging facility. (in any of these cases it is only until you recover that you will need to remain). Lodging facilities are prepared to implement a strict quarantine protocol and have designated specific COVID-19 areas for travelers needing to isolate in Los Cabos along with their families at a preferred rate.
- Reschedule your flight with your airline. Airlines are being flexible with travelers who test positive and are not charging any change fees; however, you must call before your flights depart to rearrange or pay any difference in fares.
- Reschedule your airport transfers if you have them scheduled.
- Check with the hotel to see if they can have an on-call doctor or a doctor on site who can make a visit to you if you have symptoms.
- OR familiarize yourself with the bilingual, state-of-the-art medical facilities offered in Los Cabos, here.
- Once you have recovered from COVID-19. It is not necessary to do a second test, please visit your doctor. They will be able to provide documentation of recovery, which is acceptable by the CDC if you are U.S. resident.
Travelers visiting Los Cabos can expect the following:
- Onsite Testing – tourists visiting Los Cabos will be able to get an Antigen test at their lodging facility including hotels, villas, and timeshares. The process is safe, fast, and simple given that all facilities are equipped to administer the Antigen test, which is acceptable by the CDC.
- Medical Certification – testing will be performed by the lodging facilities’ medical team that has been trained and authorized by the Mexican Health Secretary to administer the test. Once the negative result is confirmed, the doctors will issue a medical certificate on behalf of the health authorities of Baja California Sur for travelers to present before boarding their return flight in line with CDC standards.
- Low- to No-Cost – travel partners are working together to guarantee a flat rate of the test as low as USD$50. However, most of the hotels, timeshares, and villas have already announced free onsite testing to all travelers backing up Los Cabos’ commitment to providing outstanding customer service to all of its visitors.
- Designated COVID-19 Areas – for positive cases, lodging facilities are prepared to implement a comfortable but strict quarantine protocol and have designated specific COVID-19 areas for travelers needing to isolate themselves in Los Cabos along with their families at a preferred rate.
- Medical Assistance – positive cases will be overseen by the onsite medical team ready to handle these cases. Additionally, hotels, villas, and timeshares across the destination have established agreements with hospitals and private medical practices to be able to support travelers needing more advanced treatment.
- COVID-19 Test FAQ
- Medical Facilities / Testing Facilities in Los Cabos
- Visit Los Cabos official website