Transportation & Accessibility
CAR RENTAL AGENCIES AT OR NEAR THE AIRPORT
- Alamo (888) 826-6893
- Avis (624) 146-0046
- Budget (800) 002-8343
- Dollar (800) 849-4922
- E-Z Car Rental (800) 216-7700
- Fox Rent A Car (800) 225-4369
- Hertz (800) 709-5000
- National (624) 142-2424
- Payless (624) 105-8411
- Thrifty (624) 146-5030
To get from one town to the other, you can expect to pay between $60 and $70 approximately. Red and yellow taxi vans operate in San Jose del Cabo; blue and green vans cruise Cabo San Lucas. These vans are available 24 hours a day and are never far. For those who like to do as the locals do, hop on a public bus, which runs between the two towns and costs between $2 and $3, depending on the exchange rate. With highway stops at major hotels along the corridor, the ride takes about an hour.
The Los Cabos International Airport (SJD), located just 20 minutes north of San Jose del Cabo, welcomes domestic, international and private or charter flights. You need a valid passport to be allowed into Mexico. When traveling abroad, all passengers must pass through customs and immigration. Once you have passed through immigration, collect your luggage and proceed to customs. Here, passengers push a button on a traffic light of sorts; if the light turns red, your luggage has been chosen for inspection. After passing through the customs and immigration area, you may be greeted by time-share sales people eager to get your attention. Cab drivers and pre-arranged transportation providers will be waiting outside the building. Unless you’ve arranged pickup by your hotel, yellow and white mini shuttles are your best option, as they’re less expensive than taxis. They won’t depart unless they’re full, so you may have to wait a few minutes. There is also a smaller, less frequented airport, the Cabo San Lucas International Airport (CSL), which welcomes mostly private aircraft. It is located just 10 minutes away from downtown Cabo San Lucas. This airport receives more than 200 flights each week. At press time, the following airlines offered flights to Los Cabos: Aeroméxico, Air Canada, AirTran, AirTransat, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Southwest, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, Spirit, Sun Country, Sunwing, United Airlines, US Airways, Virgin America, VivaAerobus, Volaris and WestJet. There are also nonstop flights or convenient connections to Los Cabos available from many cities in the U.S., including Atlanta; Charlotte; Chicago; Dallas/ Fort Worth; Denver; Detroit; Houston; Kansas City, Mo.; Minneapolis; Newark; Phoenix; Salt Lake City and Seattle. From California, there are flights and connections available from Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, San Francisco and San Jose. From Canada, there are flights available from Calgary, Edmonton, Kelowna, Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg.
CAR RENTAL TIPS
- Minimum age to rent is 24.
- Driver’s license and major credit card are required.
- Mileage is free.
- Rent from an agency with multiple locations so help is close by if needed.
- Gas prices are about the same as in the U.S.
- Return rental car with the fuel tank at the same level as you received it to avoid high refueling charges.
- Your own insurance company may not cover you in Mexico, so expect to pay $20 to $25 per day for local insurance coverage.
AIRLINE TELEPHONE NUMBERS
- Aeroméxico (624) 146-5098
- Air Canada (800) 296-3408
- AirTran (866) 247-2428
- AirTransat (866) 255-4871
- Alaska Airlines (800) 252-7522
- American Airlines (800) 433-7300
- Delta (800) 221-1212
- Frontier (800) 432-1359
- Interjet (866) 285-9525
- Spirit Airlines (855) 882-0464
- Sun Country Airlines (800) 359-6786
- Sunwing (800) 668-4224
- United Airlines (800) 864-8331
- US Airways (800) 428-4322
- Virgin America (877) 359-8474
- VivaAerobus (888) 935-9848
- Volaris (55) 1102-8000
- WestJet (888) 937-8538
Access to Los Cabos and its surrounding fun times couldn’t be easier as one locally centered main hub exists for a fly-in – the Los Cabos International Airport (SJD airport). Situated 8 miles from San Jose del Cabo and a short 23-mile drive to Cabo San Lucas, direct... Learn More